By Mary Galloway, ND
Can You Age and Stay Healthy?
I’m sure you know elders who are very healthy and active and some who are less healthy and more sedentary. So how can you stay or become healthy as you grow older?
It’s Not Too Late
I have heard one quote that what you do today is how you will be 20 years from now. If you are active today, you will be active 20 years from now; if you are unhealthy now, you will be unhealthy 20 years from now. But that is not a life sentence!
If you lose just 5% of your weight, you can significantly improve your health:
– Reduce joint pain
– Improve cholesterol levels
– Reduce blood pressure.
Health Focus as You Age
As we age, the needs of our body changes. We digest food differently; our muscle strength begins to wane. So, what can we do to keep healthy:
- Be sure to get adequate protein. Veggie protein shakes are a good way to get easy-to-digest protein. Avoid beef and pork – it is harder for the body to digest.
- Eat 5 – 9 servings of veggies and no more than 2 servings of fruit per day. A serving is the size of your fist. Soups and veggie juices can be a good way to enjoy more veggies.
- Napping is good! A 15 – 20-minute nap during the day can help you stay rejuvenated and regenerated.
- Support your GI health. A healthy GI tract supports a healthy immune system, promotes adequate nutrient absorption so you get the most out of the food you eat and helps prevent allergens from getting into your body. Taking a combination pre- and probiotic is very helpful.
It’s about you and your health!