Joy of Health turns 2 on June 1st. What a remarkable 2 years it has been. As I think back on all that has happened and look forward to the future, I think about being in it for the long haul. I think about how to keep the clinic healthy and growing. That made me think about keeping ourselves healthy for the long haul.
Take Stock of Where You Are At
You are where you are – don’t beat yourself up over it. But do take stock:
1. What shape are you in?
2. What chronic conditions are you dealing with? What medications do you take?
3. What part of you would you like to improve?
Start Small, But Start!
1. What shape are you in? Note that for every 10 pounds of extra weight you carry, you put 40 pounds of extra pressure on your knees and hips every time you take a step. Movement is key to reducing weight, but you don’t need to be an Olympic athlete. Start with stretching every morning and taking a brief walk at night. Gradually add more exercise.
2. What chronic conditions are you dealing with? What medications do you take? Is there a way to reduce/reverse/eliminate your condition with diet and exercise? Work with your doctor to create a workable plan to help get you back on the road to health.
3. How would you like to improve you? Where would you like to be in 6 months/1 year/5 years. Create a list of goals and the steps necessary to get there. Keep the steps small and manageable – celebrate the small successes along the way!
Now It’s Your Turn!
Pick one thing to work on and create a plan. Enlist the help of family, friends and your health care team. Then simply start – you can do it!
Share with us in the comments how you are ensuring your health for the long haul.